Monday, November 4, 2013

5 Grain Cereal

I grew up on oatmeal and germade.  Surprisingly, I also grew up hating both of them.  As a mother, I understand completely why my own served it to me regularly.  Cheap, filling and so much better for you than the alternative cold "sugar" cereal.
I have been experimenting with different hot cereal variations to try and find something that I personally like.  This is my favorite option so far, which completely came as a shock to me since it has the same texture/consistency as germade.  But the flavor is SO much better!  I also like the fact that it uses grains that I typically don't consume very often.

5 Grain Cereal
Recipe from Blendec

1/2 c. millet
1/2 c. barley
1/2 c. brown rice
1/2 c. cornmeal

Add all ingredients to blender in order listed.
Press "speed up" to Speed 4, let run for 10-12 seconds, and press "pulse" to stop.
**If you don't have a blendtec, just blend it up until it is cornmeal consistency

To prepare hot cereal:
Whisk 1 c. water per 1/3 c. cereal in a saucepan.
Reduce heat, ans simmer for 3-5 minutes until thickened.

I like mine with a drizzle of honey, fresh fruit and milk.

Store unused cereal in the freezer to maximize shelf life and nutrient level.

No comments:

Post a Comment