Friday, November 5, 2010

Chimichangas

I used the flour tortillas I posted about last time to make these.
Chimichangas
8 large flour tortillas
1 lb. meat (I like to use leftover steak or chicken, but you can use hamburger as well).
2 Tbsp. olive oil (omit if you are using hamburger)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can chili (or beans of choice)
1 bell pepper, chopped
Cooking oil for frying (I just use vegetable oil)

In an electric frying pan, heat oil to 350 degrees - you'll want it around 1" deep.
Meanwhile, saute onion and pepper in oil.
Add remaining ingredients and stir.
Place alarge spoonful of mixture into the middle of a tortilla.
Fold over two sides, and roll the tortilla up (you can secure with toothpicks if necessary).
Fry in oil until golden and crispy (about 45 seconds per side).
Serve with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, etc.

** For Freezing:
Let chimi's cool on wire racks to drip off excess oil.  Once at room temperature move to the fridge.  When cold, freeze individually on a cookie sheet and then move them to a freezer bag.
To reheat, bake at 400 for 45 minutes (frozen), or 15 minutes thawed.

8 comments:

  1. what time of chili or beans do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any canned chili (or homemade) works best. I like chili con carne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you said you used the tortillas you posted about last time. What kind of tortillas are they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candice,
    I was referring to my home made flour tortillas. They can be found here: http://menumanaged.blogspot.com/2010/11/flour-tortillas.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do u drain the oil and how does the tortilla not fill with oil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let them drain on a cookie sheet, letting the excess oil drip off. If they are wrapped up correctly they will not open up or fill with oil. I have never had any problems with that!

      Delete
  6. Can these be baked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never baked this particular recipe, but check yo this link for an amazing baked cheesy chicken chimi:
      http://menumanaged.blogspot.com/2012/12/baked-cheesy-chicken-chimichangas.html?showComment=1390099654369&m=1

      Delete