Monday, August 24, 2015

Bottled Jalapeno Rings

The first time I bottled jalapenos I made the mistake of assuming they had to be canned in a pressure canner.  They came out of the canner looking beautiful and ready to add to fresh salsa and mexican dishes all winter long.  But they ended up being horribly mushy and I ended up throwing the entire batch down the drain.
After a little more research, I discovered that the jalapeno rings you get in the grocery store are in fact, pickled.  And so I was back in the kitchen to test this new recipe for pickled bottled jalapeno rings.
They are the perfect replacement for store bought jarred rings, and a wonderful way of extending the garden harvest if you grow your own jalapenos.  I was at first worried that the taste would be too 'vinegar', but the heat of the jalapenos overpowers all else and these are a welcome addition to my winter storage.
You can shake out the excess seeds if you prefer, but I find it much easier to just throw them all in.
Bottled Jalapeno Rings
Recipe from The Organic Prepper

5 lb jalapeno peppers
4 Tbsp. canning salt
4 c. white vinegar
1 c. water

Bring the vinegar, water and salt to a boil.
Slice washed jalapenos into rings, discarding stems.
Tightly pack jalapeno rings into warm, sterilized pint jars.
Pour boiling vinegar liquid over the jalapenos, allowing 1 inch for headspace.
Process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes (be sure to adjust for altitude).
(20 minutes for Utah).

No comments:

Post a Comment