Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chicken Broth

Let me just start by saying that I hardly EVER make my own broth.  And I NEVER buy chicken with the sole purpose of doing just that.  This recipe only comes out on the rare occasion that I cook a turkey, whole chickens, or buy a rotisserie chicken.  Either way, it is much more cost effective.  Plus, your house will smell delicious!
This particular broth is from a turkey that we had for Easter, hence the lighter color.
Chicken Broth
1 chicken carcass
1 large onion, quartered
2-3 carrots
3-4 celery stalks
2 cloves garlic
3 bay leaves
1 heaping Tbsp. kosher salt
10 peppercorns
Other seasonings of choice, fresh or dried (I've used parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary, sage, etc.)

Throw everything together in a large pot and cover with water by about 1 inch.
Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour.
OR, place in the crock pot - 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Strain.
Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
Pour into measured portions and freeze for 3-6 months, or about 5 days in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment