Monday, September 7, 2015

Jalapeno Jelly

I love canning.  Something about taking fresh produce and storing it away for another day with the twist of a lid is all over satisfying for me.
As I've advanced in the kitchen, I've started trying out new canning recipes.
Enter Jalapeno Jelly.
You could easily spread this on savory sandwiches or over freshly grilled chicken.
My personal favorite: start with a brick of cream cheese and top with half a pint of this stuff for the best cracker dipping appetizer of all time.

A few notes:
1: I leave the seeds in half of my jalapenos.  If you like more heat, leave more seeds in.  I am generally not a huge fan of ultra spicy, so I would recommend starting with half seeds in, and go from there.  You can always taste and add more as you go.
2: The original recipe called for 6 cups of sugar.  I'm happy with 4 1/2.  Start with that and increase until you reach desired sweetness.
Jalapeno Jelly
Recipe from Mels Kitchen Cafe

1 large red bell pepper
1 large green bell pepper
10 jalapenos
1 1/2 c. white vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 1/2 - 6 c. granulated sugar, to taste
1 3oz. pouch liquid fruit pectin (certo)

Add bell peppers and jalapenos to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
Add peppers to a large pot (account for rising foam).
Stir in the vinegar, salt and sugar, and bring to a boil.
Boil for 10 minutes, stirring often.
Add liquid pectin and boil for 1 minute.
Ladle jelly into warm, sterilized jars, pint or half pint jars, leaving headspace.
Wipe rims with a rag and screw on lids with bands.
Process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes (20 minutes in Utah, accounting for elevation).
Jelly needs at least 2 days to fully set up.
Makes about 9 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment