Friday, June 25, 2010

Barley Salad with Chicken and Corn

I was talking with my sister in law about finding more recipes with barley, and a few days later I found this...
Yum!
The perfect summer time dish - light and delicious.

Barley Salad with Chicken and Corn
recipe modified from Martha Stewart

1 c. barley
1 tsp. chicken bouillon
6 scallions, cut in 1/2" pieces
2 cans corn (or 3 cups)
3-6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (I used 3 romas)
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 chicken breast, shredded
1 tsp. lemon juice
5 oz. spinach
salt and pepper to taste
avocado (optional but recommended)

Cook barley according to package directions.
Drain and let cool.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450.
Place scallions and corn in a bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp. oil.
Season with salt and pepper.
Place on a foil lined baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.

In a large bowl, combine barley, roasted vegetables, tomatoes, parsley, chicken, spinach, 2 Tbsp. oil and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.  Add remaining oil if salad is too sticky.

Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature (room temp is my preference).
Garnish with avocado chunks.

**My photo doesn't include the avocado, but I added one the second day when I had it as a leftover.  It made a world of difference!  It was WAY better!

No comments:

Post a Comment