Friday, July 16, 2010

French Bread

We've been making bread over here for years and years now, and this recipe continues to be one of our continual go-to's.

Not only does it make the most amazing french bread, but you can modify this to make just about anything; hamburger or hot dog buns, crescent rolls, dinner rolls, etc.  Anytime I make a sandwich like this one I use this recipe.

The inside is soft and flexible, the outside is chewy and delicious.
I seriously cannot express how happy I was when I first made this!
And of course every time I've made it since...
YUM!

This recipe comes from Confessions of a Bake-a-Holic.  She uses a food processor to make hers, as well as regular yeast.  I used my mixer and instant yeast, cutting the time down to 1.5 hours instead of 2, so I will be writing the instructions that way.  If you want the original recipe, click on the above link.

French Bread
7 c. flour
2 Tbsp. instant yeast
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
2 1/2 c. hot tap water
1/3 c. oil
1 egg, beaten
Put flour, yeast, sugar and salt in mixing bowl; stir to combine.
Add the oil and the hot water.
Mix with a kneading blade until a soft dough forms (6 minutes for white flour, 8 for wheat).

Leave dough in the mixer.
Every 5 minutes, turn on the mixer and let it run for a few seconds.  (Do this every 5 minutes for 25 minutes).

Divide dough in half and form into two elongated loaves.
Place on cookie sheets dusted with cornmeal.
Slash tops on a diagonal with a knife.
Brush each loaf with the beaten egg (pour it on there - don't be shy!!!).
Let loafs rise for 25 minutes.
Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this. I too have been in search of the perfect french bread recipe. I can never get my outside crust chewy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best recipe I found sofar. I tried it on 3-22-13 and the result was great. it looks great and it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete